Tuesday, December 7, 2010

History Lesson.

Hello students, and welcome to your first class of BMT101: Introduction to Badminton.
As my TA passes out the invisible syllabus, I'd just like to inform you all that the major applications for Badminton are due next Monday.

Now if you'll put away your laptops and cel phones--that means you, Mr. Gade...we can begin.

According to the incredibly accurate source of Wikipedia, the sport originated in the 17th century in British India. (Feel free to use Wikipedia as a source in your papers due next month). Originally called Battledore and Shuttlecock, it was played a town called Poona. (Stop laughing, please). The British officers brought the sport back to England, where the game was further developed.

I had thought that the name 'Badminton' was derived from some special Latin roots, but the name was actually given due to the fact that the sport was 'launched' by the Duke of Beaufort in 1873, in the Badminton House. They referred to it as the Game of Badminton. You can still visit this house in England today, where they hold annual Badminton Horse Trials. (Mr. Hidayat, please stop falling asleep in my class.)

Rules were finally set in 1887, and the first All England Open Badminton Championships began in 1899, the first badminton championship in the world.

Read chapters 1&2 of BadmintonSquare. Pop Quiz on Thursday on the new post on BadmintonSquare. Read carefully!
__________________________________________________________________

I'm so happy~ I've reached 200+ views from all over the world!!!

Once I reach 1000, something VERY SPECIAL WILL HAPPEN! SO subscribe, link your friends and share!

I do hope you guys are enjoying my posts...please feel free to comment or e-mail me if you have any recommendations or suggestions. I will take everything into consideration!

Also a reminder:
DO YOUR HOLIDAY SHOPPING EARLY, boys and girls!

Make sure the things you want are in stock, or they'll get shipped to your house in time!

(And if you're sending Lee Yong Dae to me in a pretty wrapped box, please poke air holes!)


No comments:

Post a Comment